AFL’s Oil Stop Valve (OSV)
Function: Prevents discharge of separated oil to sewer/streams
Large, unpredictable oil and fuel spills can defeat the most conservatively designed pollution control system. But while the cost of such a system can be prohibitive, the consequences of not controlling a spill can be equally catastrophic. The AFL Oil Stop Valve (OSV) is designed to solve these problems by confining even large oil spills to the premises.
- Features & Benefits
- Technical Specs
The AFL Oil Stop Valve is fabricated from non-corrosive PVC or stainless steel. Standard sizes are 4”, 6” 8”, 10” and 12” discharge piping. Larger piping systems can be accommodated by manifolding units together. Optional screening can be provided if necessary to prevent the discharge of large floating solids. An optional slave valve is recommended if evaporation or leaky manholes allow the main float to close. Once rainwater enters the manhole, the slave valve will open and equalize the pressure allowing the main float to reopen.
The OSV is designed for easy installation to any existing separators, catch basins or manholes. AFL also provides the OSV prepackaged in a fiberglass or metal catch basin or as an option on AFL’s oil water separators.
Consider the OSV for those applications where oil spills are possible, but unpredictable such as electrical transformers, oil storage areas, and transportation fueling systems. The Oil Stop Valve is the most cost effective method to prevent a major disaster.
The OSV in Action:
The OSV has only one mechanical moving part, a ballasted float set at a specific gravity between that of oil and water (.95 or less). When an oil spill occurs, the float loses buoyancy as the oil level increases until it finally seats itself on the discharge port. Thus the oil spill is confined.
CHOOSING THE PROPER VALVE TYPE AND MATERIAL
PVC models are the most economical way to prevent bulk hydrocarbon spills.
Corrosion resistant PVC construction is an ideal choice for warm climates.
Stainless Steel Not Extended
Used in lieu of PVC units in colder climates, which may eliminate the necessity for an electric freeze protection package.
Stainless Steel Extended
The best option if fire is possible. By extending the pipe thru the sump wall, there is no connection inside the sump to burn and fail.
• Dependable gravity operation via specific gravity
• Single mechanical moving part
• Large flow capacity
• Self-opening (Slave Valve option)
• No power required
• Corrosion-resistant construction with protective coating
• Flow rates up to 1400 GPM (5,299 L/min) through a single valve
• Discharge heights and direction can be custom engineered for your specific application.
• ASTM 150 Lb. bolt-together discharge flanges are available upon request.
• Electrical transformers
• Oil storage areas
• Electric utilities and power plants
• Transportation fueling systems
• Transportation and equipment wash pads
• Post-Oil Water Separator
• Airports and aircraft services
• Military and government facilities
• Petroleum marketing facilities
• Power plant substations
|TYPE||MODEL #||SIZE||VALVE MATERIAL||(MIN) DEPTH BELOW OUTLET INVERT||MAX. FLOW RATE*|
|STANDARD||OSV-4SS||4″||101 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-3”||686||160||606|
|OSV-6SS||6″||152 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-6”||762||360||1362|
|OSV-8SS||8″||203 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-10 1/2″||876||600||2274|
|OSV-10SS||10″||254 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-1”||940||900||3408|
|OSV-12SS||12″||304 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-5”||1042||1400||5298|
|OSV-8||8″||203 mm||PVC||2’-10 1/2”||876||600||2274|
|EXTENDED||OSV-4SST||4″||101 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-3”||686||160||606|
|OSV-6SST||6″||152 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-6”||762||360||1362|
|OSV-8SST||8″||203 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-10 1/2”||876||600||2274|
|OSV-10SST||10″||254 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-1”||940||900||3408|
|OSV-12SST||12″||304 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-5”||1042||1400||5298|
|STANDARD W/ SLAVE VALVE||OSV-4SSSV||4″||101 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-3”||686||160||606|
|OSV-6SSSV||6″||152 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-6”||762||360||1362|
|OSV-8SSSV||8″||203 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-10 1/2”||876||600||2274|
|OSV-10SSSV||10″||254 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-1”||940||900||3408|
|OSV-12SSSV||12″||304 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-5”||1042||1400||5298|
|OSV-8SV||8″||203 mm||PVC||2’-10 1/2”||876||600||2274|
|EXTENDED W/ SLAVE VALVE||OSV-4SSTSV||4″||101 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-3”||686||160||606|
|OSV-6SSTSV||6″||152 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-6”||762||360||1362|
|OSV-8SSTSV||8″||203 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||2’-10 1/2”||876||600||2274|
|OSV-10SSTSV||10″||254 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-1”||940||900||3408|
|OSV-12SSTSV||12″||304 mm||STAINLESS STEEL||3’-5”||1042||1400||5298|
|*WARNING: EXCEEDING THESE FLOW RATES MAY CAUSE PREMATURE CLOSURE|
- Slave Valve (Recommended)
- The slave valve allows for automatic operation of the main float. The slave valve is recommended if evaporation or leaky manholes cause the main float to close due to lack of water. Once rain water enters the manhole, the slave valve will open and equalize the pressure allowing the main float to reopen. In the event of an oil spill, the slave valve float and the main float will close, containing the spill.
- Freeze protection package (Immersion heater)
- Flanged immersion heater(s) which can be bolted directly to the tank. The heating system is thermostatically controlled. Weather and explosion proof enclosures are available for the various controls
- Product pump-out systems
- Automate the transfer of product from the built-in reservoir of an oil/water separator to either an integral or separate storage facility. Systems are custom designed per application and consist of at least one pump with motor, a level switch and control panel.
- Sludge pump-out systems
- A sludge pump-out system consists of a diaphragm pump, an enclosed control panel, wiring, and plumbing to the point of sludge origination. The pump used in these sludge-handling systems is a self-priming diaphragm type. It pumps almost anything that passes through the suction line: sludge, mud, sand, and machining chips.
- Water/Oil level switch
- Is connected to either visual/audio alarms or computer controls for overflow warning and prevention